Level
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Surprise!!!

Came into the lounge room this morning and found a real little surprise:
    Where's dad.jpg
    The truly odd thing is that Raisele, whom I've had for nearly 13 years (she's about 15), has never been with a male! Is anyone familiar with parthenogenesis in blue-tongues? There were 2 other oval yellow things that looked like the unfinished eggs you find inside a chicken. The bub is active and mum ate a little plate of kitten food, her current favourite. I couldn't find anything online about this happening in blue tongues or other skinks so if anyone has any suggestions of anything else to watch for, I'd be grateful.

2. Likes briansworms, Bearded Penguin liked this post
    Subscriber Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    WOW what a surprise, I have never heard of that happening before.
    You might want to separate them though,the bluey we had who bred years ago attacked her children later on
    Last edited by dragonlover1; 08-12-2016 at 06:28 PM.
    slave to centrals, pygmies, central netted , bluies , pygmy banded pythons ,australorps and loving it !

4. Likes briansworms, Bearded Penguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    I thought about that and she's temporarily in a little aquarium I use for angle-head hatchies till I can get something more suitable on the weekend. She's got what looks like dried placenta hanging on; I thought I'd read somewhere to leave it alone till it dries and drops off. I hope that's correct. She's active but I'm not sure she's eaten yet.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by laabel View Post
    Came into the lounge room this morning and found a real little surprise:
    Where's dad.jpg
    The truly odd thing is that Raisele, whom I've had for nearly 13 years (she's about 15), has never been with a male! Is anyone familiar with parthenogenesis in blue-tongues? There were 2 other oval yellow things that looked like the unfinished eggs you find inside a chicken. The bub is active and mum ate a little plate of kitten food, her current favourite. I couldn't find anything online about this happening in blue tongues or other skinks so if anyone has any suggestions of anything else to watch for, I'd be grateful.
    The oval yellow things were unfertilized eggs (often just called slugs), which, including the live bub makes for a total of three (unless she ate some). Under normal circumstances, blue-tongues can pop out 10-20 bubs over a period of a couple days, there may be more surprises yet.

The Common dwarf skink (Menetia greyii) is worth a look at in relation to parthenogenisis.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_dwarf_skink

Quote Originally Posted by laabel View Post
    I thought about that and she's temporarily in a little aquarium I use for angle-head hatchies till I can get something more suitable on the weekend. She's got what looks like dried placenta hanging on; I thought I'd read somewhere to leave it alone till it dries and drops off. I hope that's correct. She's active but I'm not sure she's eaten yet.
    Separation was a good idea, nature provides a bit of a grace period so the bub can safely get away from mum in the wild.

Bluey bubs often eat the placenta within minutes of birth. I once had a greedy bub eat both it's own placenta and that of a sibling. The sibling was fine despite not getting his life boosting meal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Penguin View Post
    The oval yellow things were unfertilized eggs (often just called slugs), which, including the live bub makes for a total of three (unless she ate some). Under normal circumstances, blue-tongues can pop out 10-20 bubs over a period of a couple days, there may be more surprises yet.

The Common dwarf skink (Menetia greyii) is worth a look at in relation to parthenogenisis.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_dwarf_skink

Separation was a good idea, nature provides a bit of a grace period so the bub can safely get away from mum in the wild.

Bluey bubs often eat the placenta within minutes of birth. I once had a greedy bub eat both it's own placenta and that of a sibling. The sibling was fine despite not getting his life boosting meal.

Thanks for that; I figured those were eggs and she'd eaten at least part of one. I'm still watching her as I know that they'd normally have big litters and she's still looking pretty substantial. I'm not sure if the little one has eaten anything yet; I've offered small crickets and little bits of fruit but I haven't seen her eat just yet. The common dwarf skink link was interesting; I didn't know that parthenogenesis had been shown for any of the skinks. I'll set up a better enclosure over the weekend but I was only expecting to deal with little angle-heads, not a baby bluey!

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album pictures1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    What an exciting surprise!!!