Thread: MVB discussion

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive

MVB discussion

there is an argument raging on another forum about MVB vs MH etc. here is a link to an English site with too much jargon for me to comprehend but it concerns the MVB Brett sells;Maybe the brainiacs here could decifer the mumbo jumbo so us plebs know what is going on http://www.uvguide.co.uk/UVTool-ExoT...larGlo125W.htm , thanks in advance Dylan.
    slave to all my reptiles

2. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    The tests were done on two identical MVB's purchased 2012-2013, the strengths after 105 hours testing varied between the two globes by 30% - 40%, which indicated quite a variance in the batch, they also lost their peek output fairly fast. I think they've since fixed the problems at some point (pretty sure there was a post on the forum mentioning it when Brett got them back in stock, though that was probably lost when the forum had problems). If the new ones are a different globe, we don't have any data for them.

Jargon?

It may help to think of 'wavelengths' as frequencies (channels) on an extended radio dial. Reptiles are tuned to certain frequencies (channels) for different biological functions, skin tuned to UVB and UVA eyes tuned to RED,GREEN,BLUE and UVA etc.
    Ideal lighting would provide every channel the reptile has evolved to receive. In this reguard the tested MVB's didn't do so well, though I'm not sure if they are better of worse than other MVB's as far as frequency goes. The rapid loss of output (by varying amounts in the two samples) is probably more of a concern. Note: Twiddling your beardies knob(s) will not re-tune him!

As for metal halides, in theory, they should be much better globes as they have a bit better coverage of the required lighting spectrum.

4. Thanks dragonlover1 thanked for this post
    Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    I think a lot might of changes since 2012-2013, I have not seen packaging like those boxes for a very long time and if you get some in that box your buying someones very old stock

6. Likes briansworms, Asw Reptiles liked this post