Level
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

im loosing my mind , HELP for new Beared Dragon Owner

Hello , so fairly new to the Bearded Dragon world
    went out and brought a " upgraded package " it included a
    Glass Vivarium size 1200L x 600W x 600 H . (I have enclosed photos )
    I currently have 2 bearded dragons in there . (reptile shop informed me they will live happy together In this size tank )
    since putting them together I've learnt that they are no good housed together ? and have started displaying this .
    (Glass vivarium currently has infra red 150w basking spot globe , and a 26w uvb 10.0 compact globe ??? are these even suitable .
    it also has a Advanced Reptile Thermostat ?)

So I did what I thought was the right thing to do and went to a Different reptile store .
    and I purchased wooden stackable vivariums .
    Vivarium size is 800 L x 480 W x 600H
    I brought as a full package also . However just wondering if lights are correct .(have enclosed photo of new wooded vivariums. The uvb globe is a 18w 5% . I thought they had to be 10% ??
    When i questioned shop i was told that 10% would cause glaucoma in this size set up?? even though he told me this size set up was perfect for a bearded dragon to live in even when fully grown . Any help would be much appreciate
    I'm loosing my mind and running out of money fast because of getting incorrect information .

I just was the best for our new little family members , Please Help .
    18121801_10211586065101490_1783742689211527861_o.jpg18193461_10211585499687355_6100747337459420259_o.jpg

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    1200L x 600W x 600H setup:

This is a size that is generally recommended for a single adult beardie.
    Red lights are no good, they were used for night time heat before people worked out that reptiles can see red light anyway, they have no reason to exist.
    150w is probably too hot, thus requiring the use of the thermostat (i nice sale for the pet shop I'll bet). If the thermostat malfunctions, things are going to get HOT.
    It's best to replace the red light with a standard reflector globe from the hardware store, and not use the thermostat at all. Often a 60W globe will be enough to reach basking temperature, though you can use higher, lower wattage as necessary.
    The 26W UVB 10.0 compact globe is fine to use but should positioned close to the basking globe, the dragon should receive his UVB while basking. With that size enclosure you could look at an MVB (Mercury Vapour Bulb) which would provide heat and UVB in one globe (this cannot be used with a thermostat).

800L x 480W x 600H setup:

The length lets these down a bit for a full sized beardie, they're really better suited to smaller species.
    18W 5% is a bit on the weak side, a 10% should be fine in that enclosure, it's the same height as your other enclosures after all. Beardies love the sun, and that's generally stronger than the 10% UVB globe.
    Quite a few years back there were some problem UVB lights that caused eye problems, but intensity wasn't the issue, the problem was the emission of UVC and non-terrestrial UVB wavelengths.
    The red bulb, again should be replaced with a standard clear glass reflector bulb. Ignore the print on the box, a true 'infrared' lamp emits no visible light, just heat. Red lights and clear lights both emit infrared along with the visible light anyway, it is after all, just heat.

It's best to separate the little guys sooner rather than later, don't wait for the trouble to erupt as things can get very bad in the blink of an eye, and you're left with beardies with missing tails, feet, or entire limbs.

It's a bit of a trap to ask buying advice from the entity that going to be selling you the goods, it puts a great big green dollar sign in their head, and they'll tend to sell you whatever they can get away with.

As this was your first post, welcome to the forum.

Subscriber Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Gidday and welcome to the forum,glad to have you on board.I agree with pretty much everything BP has said ,I would only add that the small enclosures you have will do you for a while as the little guys grow and then you can put some other smaller dragons (maybe pygmies?) in them when you move your existing beardies into bigger houses.You don't realize it yet but beardies are an addiction and you can't stop at 1 .
    Another suggestion for when you put them in the bigger glass houses is to wrap them in cardboard or foam on 3 sides plus part of the top to help retain heat since you are in SA you will have some variation in temps.
    All the best with your new friends.
    And once again welcome to the forum.
    slave to all my reptiles

4. Thanks Chigibub thanked for this post
    Likes Chigibub, briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Hi Chigibub

Its sad when you go to a store that specializes in something and your confident they will point you in the right direction only to find out that $ value has taken over there customer service values

We have adopted a go ask questions policy of as many stores as possible see if they all say the same if 3 tell you the same and one tells you something different i steer clear of the that's different going forward.... probably easier for me to say as I see your location Strathalbyn which would limit the stores close to you

We given advice not long ago so I understand your pain we breed our dragons for the first time this year and was trying to find out how long before newly hatched dragons would accept food now it had been 5 days i think and I was in a new store and thought I ask the question.... they asked how old I told them the answer I got was well if they haven't eaten by now suggest the humane thing to do was put them in the freezer ???????

Now he I sit typing 3 months down the track and watching me and running a muck are the same little dragons (not so little now ) i was referring to thank god I asked another store who suggested meal worms went home same day threw in a meal worm bang eating and haven't look back since .......... hence we will never go back to that store again i will pay more else where just on principle

Just suggestion could you possibly exchange some of the unwanted items for things you do need ??? see if they will value their customer service

6. Thanks Chigibub thanked for this post
    Likes Chigibub, briansworms, dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    yes , i went to 2 seperate stores , i suppose the first was far better then the last one i went to . just frustrating because im completely new to the whole "Lizard " world . and im still supposed to be doing all the wiring by myself . they have given me cheat sheets but im rather overwhelmed . can u recommend any where decent in SA when it comes to reptiles ? im going to get the infra red globes changed on monday and il see if they can swap them for the items ive already brought .

8. Likes briansworms, dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    [QUOTE=Bearded Penguin;60202]1200L x 600W x 600H setup:

This is a size that is generally recommended for a single adult beardie.
    Red lights are no good, they were used for night time heat before people worked out that reptiles can see red light anyway, they have no reason to exist.
    150w is probably too hot, thus requiring the use of the thermostat (i nice sale for the pet shop I'll bet). If the thermostat malfunctions, things are going to get HOT.
    It's best to replace the red light with a standard reflector globe from the hardware store, and not use the thermostat at all. Often a 60W globe will be enough to reach basking temperature, though you can use higher, lower wattage as necessary.
    The 26W UVB 10.0 compact globe is fine to use but should positioned close to the basking globe, the dragon should receive his UVB while basking. With that size enclosure you could look at an MVB (Mercury Vapour Bulb) which would provide heat and UVB in one globe (this cannot be used with a thermostat).

I Actually happen to have a solar glo MVB but its 125 W . (i have two ELN turtles ) but i assume wattage would be too High ?

in regards to the UVB lights in the smaller wooden vivariums , the light casing says 18 W does that mean only 18 w lights can go in there ?
    also are the long lights better to use then the smaller globes ?

10. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Chigibub View Post
    I Actually happen to have a solar glo MVB but its 125 W . (i have two ELN turtles ) but i assume wattage would be too High ?
    I don't use MVB's myself so don't have a feel for them, they're not as hot as other types of globe of the same wattage so may be usable, hopefully someone with some personal experience chimes in with some better info.

Quote Originally Posted by Chigibub View Post
    in regards to the UVB lights in the smaller wooden vivariums , the light casing says 18 W does that mean only 18 w lights can go in there ?
    also are the long lights better to use then the smaller globes ?
    Yes, but that's not a problem as pretty much all two foot long flouro tubes are 18W (or 20W which would still be fine in the 18W batten).
    Fluorescent tubes of this type are generally 9W per foot in length, 4ft = 36W for example. 10W per foot used to be the norm, though I'm not sure if any reptile tubes come with that rating any more.

12. Likes briansworms, grubandk, Chigibub liked this post