Thread: Ebay dimming thermostat

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Ebay dimming thermostat

Guys after experiences with the cheaper ebay thermostat power board. They look the same as exo Terra ones but a 3rd of the price. Anyone here tried them?

Setting up an enclosure before I pick up a couple dragons later in the year.

Regards

Shane
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Subscriber Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    can't help you there mate,don't use thermo's all my enclosures are on timers.
    slave to centrals, pygmies, central netted , bluies , pygmy banded pythons ,australorps and loving it !

Subscriber Awards:
    Calendar Award
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    i did play with simular stats awhile ago(even after the being told "don't bother") and eventually gave up , complicated to set and then trying to remember how to do it all over again as seasons change
    as with a lot of forum members I went to timers .simple as , just change globe wattages as the seasons change
    I kept a diary for different seasons and forecast temps (on average) and just changed globes to suit (40,60,75 watt)
    I rarely check temps anymore as the diary tells me what is needed ,and when I do check temps they are where I want them
    summer time I add an extra a few hours no heat during the hottest part of the day but left UV on
    dead easy to change ,add or subtract hours of heat and UV ,simular to the natural enviroment

Subscriber Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by grubandk View Post
    i did play with simular stats awhile ago(even after the being told "don't bother") and eventually gave up , complicated to set and then trying to remember how to do it all over again as seasons change
    as with a lot of forum members I went to timers .simple as , just change globe wattages as the seasons change
    I kept a diary for different seasons and forecast temps (on average) and just changed globes to suit (40,60,75 watt)
    I rarely check temps anymore as the diary tells me what is needed ,and when I do check temps they are where I want them
    summer time I add an extra a few hours no heat during the hottest part of the day but left UV on
    dead easy to change ,add or subtract hours of heat and UV ,simular to the natural enviroment
    way to go Rob,I don't have a diary but similar system
    slave to centrals, pygmies, central netted , bluies , pygmy banded pythons ,australorps and loving it !

6. Thanks grubandk thanked for this post
    Likes briansworms liked this post
    Subscriber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    I have 2, one dimming the other not thermostats and they are in the garage packed away with the other useless gadgets I bought

Like the rest here, timer and different wattage heat globes, and UV globes but many use MVB's,

8. Likes briansworms, grubandk liked this post
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Every enclosure that houses a bearded dragon already contains a perfectly good thermostat, why add another one?
    In general, when two thermostats are daisy chained, the one with the lowest 'set' temperature will do all the work, and the the one with the higher cutout temperature will never reach it's 'set' point as it will be switched off by the other.
    The 'perfectly good thermostat' that's already in the enclosure is the dragon itself, this is quite an accurate thermostat that's been tuned over thousands of years.

If the hardware thermostat has a higher 'set' point than the dragon's inbuilt thermostat, the dragon will adjust it's own temperature by moving away from the heat source, at least until the hardware thermostat kicks in and the sun mysteriously switches off (not something a wild dragon ever has to contend with). On the other hand, if the hardware thermostat has a lower 'set' point than the dragon's inbuilt thermostat, the dragon won't be able to reach it's preferred body temperature at all due to the hardware thermostat kicking in, and once again the sun mysteriously switching off, but this time, too soon.

A thermostat should really be thought of, and used as, an emergency heat reduction if things get too hot. In this scenario, you control the heat by seasonally swapping in the appropriate globes as mentioned above, and the thermostat only ever kicks in if, for whatever reason, things have gotten 'too hot'.

A dimming thermostat could be used for ambient lighting/natural effect (while still doing it's job as a thermostat) but no company has taken it that far that I know of. Think of clouds passing in front of the sun, to cool down, just add more clouds.

10. Likes dragonlover1, briansworms, grubandk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Thanks for the quick input. I should however give a bit more info this one had a timer and a Thermo heat side. So I was thinking having the basking and uvb on timer with a ceramic on the heat for over night probably only in winter aswell... Would you think this is a good way? I say this because I leave for work early before the suns up and don't trust the family with not forgetting the little dragon...

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    You could use it for a bit of overnight heat if you expect the room and enclosure to drop below 14 degrees C.
    Note that if your enclosure has an open or mesh top, the ceramic heater won't be very effective as all the heat will go straight up and out of the enclosure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    I have been using these for quite a while now and I think they are great. Haven't had one fail yet (fingers crossed lol) and I have found that I have blown WAY less globes using these instead of switching style thermostats. I have slowly been adding them to all of my enclosures and I own approximately 9 of these thermostats now. I love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk