Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered500 Experience Points

Parasite/worming treatments

Hey everyone,

So Mushu has been lethargic for ages and recently starting having diarrhoea, never had him tested for parasites so I figured I should. My local vets are not the best with reptiles but the closest herp vet is a few hours away. I figured they could do a basic faecal test right..? Anyway the vet did a faecal float and said he found heaps of parasites but doesn't know what they are. The vet is suggesting I come in for a consultation and that injections are probably needed. Also offered to give me pics of the parasites so I can attempt to id them.

So. Wondering what the common drugs are that are used for parasites in beardies? And is there a better way for me to go about treating him?

Assuming I'll need to do a big enclosure clean while he's being treated and then give probiotics after if the drug used messes up his natural gut flora...

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Did a bit of research and can only find treatments for pinworms and coccidia.. fendendazole for pinworm (also ivermectin but it has a narrow margin of safety in reptiles so avoid), and sulfadimenthoxine or ponazuril for coccidia.

If anyone has anything else that is helpful please share. Basically wanted to be armed with info when I speak to the vet again - he's a good vet, but I've heard horror stories of non-herp vets missing something obvious or giving the wrong drugs.

Also read that I should start probiotics while the meds are given, not after.