Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

New beardie owner :)

Hi everyone,

Just got myself a beardie but he seems to be only about 5 inches so im assuming hes a baby and was possibly sold to me too young as ive read they shouldn't be sold any younger then 8 weeks?.

He hasn't been eating much but ive noticed he is shedding and was pretty lazy his first few days but started walking around and climbing lately. He hasn't been eating too much, first few days he had greens(dusted) then is having 7-9 crickets a day...I usually let him feed for 15 mins or so until he loses interest. Im assuming his food intake is down due to the full body shed?. I've also misted him which seemed to perk him up a little .

I've had him just about 1 week now and hes moving a lot more but still is a little down on his protein and greens. Ill monitor this more as ive read the full body shed lasts about 2 weeks or so?.

I've attached a couple of photos and would love some feed back on the terrarium setup. Heat lamp is 150W infrared and a 10.0 UVB tube, also have a 100W ceramic heater but not used atm as the heat lamp does the job perfect. The only concern i have is possibly the UVB tube is positioned too high? Its about 35CM from the perch branch..

Look forward to chatting with you all
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ageg; 05-01-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album pictures1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Hi there. Cute baby!
    First thing to do is ditch the red head and get a spot light for heat! Do you have a way to check temps? Would be helpful to know what heat you have under your basking spot. If you can position the heat near the uv that’s best so he can bask in both at once.

3. Likes beardylover liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    gidday mate,welcome to the forum.
    As Belsco says get rid of the red,basking lamp should look like the sun;a bright white light.
    You can get cheap spot lamps from your local hardware store,cheaper and better than paying pet store $$.
    See if you can find some fatter sticks,should be at least as wide as the dragons body for comfort and turn them around so the high point is near the lights so your dragon can choose his basking position.
    It's also a good idea to offer 2 hides,1 in the cool end & 1 in the warm end,once again it's all about giving a choice.
    Can you get a closer pic of your dragon? from this angle it looks like a pygmy which could explain it's size.
    UV should be about 30cm from basking spot so if you turn the sticks around you should be good.
    Cheers Rick
    slave to all my reptiles

5. Likes Belsco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Hey Belsco. I have a digital thermometer and also a heat gun

7. Likes Belsco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonlover1 View Post
    gidday mate,welcome to the forum.
    As Belsco says get rid of the red,basking lamp should look like the sun;a bright white light.
    You can get cheap spot lamps from your local hardware store,cheaper and better than paying pet store $$.
    See if you can find some fatter sticks,should be at least as wide as the dragons body for comfort and turn them around so the high point is near the lights so your dragon can choose his basking position.
    It's also a good idea to offer 2 hides,1 in the cool end & 1 in the warm end,once again it's all about giving a choice.
    Can you get a closer pic of your dragon? from this angle it looks like a pygmy which could explain it's size.
    UV should be about 30cm from basking spot so if you turn the sticks around you should be good.
    Cheers Rick
    Ive added in this big log, he can also hide under neath it...however, now to the added height, right in the center of the heat lamp its now registering at about 54 degrees...would you suggest to drop my wattage of the globe to 100 instead of 150?. For the heat lamp, bunnings would be ok to get one from?

Ive added in some pics of the dragon too You can see in some of his pictures that hes shedding too so im assuming thats the reason for his low appetite?20180105_190538[249].jpg20180105_190532[251].jpg20180105_190519[250].jpg20180105_190500[252].jpg

9. Likes Belsco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    yeah change the globe,we keep a variety of globes from 40,60,75 even 100W and yeah Bunnings is the go for Philips spot lamps.$6-7 for 2 globes .
    If it's a central beardie go for max of 45C.Pygmies have a max of 42C
    Yeah if he's shedding it can dull the appetite but also if he's new it can take a week or two to settle in so don't hassle him too much.
    Last edited by dragonlover1; 05-01-2018 at 08:08 PM.
    slave to all my reptiles

11. Likes Belsco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonlover1 View Post
    yeah change the globe,we keep a variety of globes from 40,60,75 even 100W and yeah Bunnings is the go for Philips spot lamps.$6-7 for 2 globes .
    If it's a central beardie go for max of 45C.Pygmies have a max of 42C
    Yeah if he's shedding it can dull the appetite but also if he's new it can take a week or two to settle in so don't hassle him too much.
    Sweet thanks for the info mate. Is this the spot lamp you mean?Screenshot_20180105-211745.jpg

13. Likes Belsco liked this post
    Subscriber Awards:
    Calendar Award
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    That's the globes you want
    Only having the little guy for a week may be a reason why he isn't overly hungry , they will take some time to settle in
    that's also a large open space for a tiny lonely dragon , personally I would halve the space until it gains some size (my opinion only)
    I would also get rid of the paper , no offence but it looks too clinical ,try to give something more natural ,while your grabbing globes get a bag of play sand ,dry it out and spread it around

15. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Quote Originally Posted by grubandk View Post
    That's the globes you want
    Only having the little guy for a week may be a reason why he isn't overly hungry , they will take some time to settle in
    that's also a large open space for a tiny lonely dragon , personally I would halve the space until it gains some size (my opinion only)
    I would also get rid of the paper , no offence but it looks too clinical ,try to give something more natural ,while your grabbing globes get a bag of play sand ,dry it out and spread it around

Cheers mate 😀 I'm open to all kinds of input, want my buddy around for the long haul

17. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album pictures1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Playsands the go. That log looks great. We have a cupboard full of bulbs of all different watts, some pet shop ones I’ve picked up on sale and some Bunnings ones.

19. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post