Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

10 week old beardie feeding issues and basking temp

Hi there,

I have had my beardie for 2 weeks now, and she is about 20cm head to tail (assuming she is about 10 weeks old).
    Since I've had her, appetite has waxed and waned from 4-12 small crickets fed over 2-3 meals.
    She doesn't seem to be interested in running/hunting after them and if she misses one, she gives up on the feed.
    I have tried disabling the crickets a little but she won't take food when hand fed, nor if a disabled cricket is sitting there under her nose.
    She is also not interested in greens but has had a few licks when handfed shredded veg a few times.
    Look forward to your advice.

She is pooing regularly, every 1-2 days which are of varying sizes.

Although i have a coil UVB (10.0), she seems to spend most of her time here about 15cm from it, at a surface temp of 36-37C as measured by a digital laser thermometer.

The basking spot can sometimes get to 50C, is this ok? She tends to avoid this area anyway and basks around the hotspot. I have the thermostats probe in the cool end set at 28C

Thanks for your advice and opinion.

Tanya

2. Likes briansworms, dragonlover1 liked this post
    Subscriber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanyasp View Post
    Hi there,

I have had my beardie for 2 weeks now, and she is about 20cm head to tail (assuming she is about 10 weeks old).
    Since I've had her, appetite has waxed and waned from 4-12 small crickets fed over 2-3 meals.
    She doesn't seem to be interested in running/hunting after them and if she misses one, she gives up on the feed.
    I have tried disabling the crickets a little but she won't take food when hand fed, nor if a disabled cricket is sitting there under her nose.
    She is also not interested in greens but has had a few licks when handfed shredded veg a few times.

Although i have a coil UVB (10.0), she seems to spend most of her time here about 15cm from it, at a surface temp of 36-37C as measured by a digital laser thermometer.

The basking spot can sometimes get to 50C, is this ok? She tends to avoid this area anyway and basks around the hotspot. I have the thermostats probe in the cool end set at 28C

Tanya
    Hi Tanya,

Bit new to beardies myself, but previously owning Eastern Water Dragons I've got a good grasp on what to expect.
    Seeing as this post is about a month old I presume the issue is starting to correct itself, but with my guy (8 weeks old, have had him for 1 1/2 weeks) he is acting the same, will take a cricket here and there, but isn't an active feeder. Watching his behaviour, he still isn't sure about his surroundings, which I'm sure is/was the issue with yours.

Would be keen on an update as to how yours is going?

4. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Subscriber Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Hi Tanya,sorry but I didn't see this post before.I have found Centrals only like to get to about 45C (and Pygmies 42C) MAX.
    As for the sporadic feeding some critters are just slow feeders,I currently have 3 out of a clutch of 23 that watch others eat and only eat occasionally .
    slave to all my reptiles

6. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Subscriber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanyasp View Post
    Hi there,

Tanya
    Hi Tanya,

Wondering how your girl is going?

8. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post