Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive

Warning to anyone who might be thinking of breeding

New Member March 9 at 9:45am

"I would like to say to everyone,
    Dont get rid of your pets and dont be discouraged by these rules. If you give up then the govt. have won, the ultimate aim for them is to have no one with pets and this is at the extreme elements want. In the USA quite a few years ago the PETA organisation fund raised for a lot of money, they then went to a large pet store and bought lots of dogs and cats and then they euthanised all of them.. they said at the time..e..we would rather see these animals euthanised than be kept for the sole pleasure of a pet owner. They dont believe we have the right to "own" an animal. These extreme minded people are here in Australia and they push for these rules."
    Okay every one.it is time for everybody to wake up and get involved!!!
    The above is from another site but it will affect us all if the law is passed,It means you can't sell,swap or even give away another creature unless you are a registered pet shop.This alone requires you to be registered as a pet shop even if you you only breed a few excess per year.But this causes another problem as most breeders live in residential areas which means they will be refused a license
    slave to all my reptiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Personally, I am vegan, but I don't associate with PETA (their crazy and most vegans hate them). But I do believe that we need tighter laws on pet ownership because it is not a right it is a privilege. Working in the animal industry I have seen so many abuse this privileged. Taking on an animal means they are your responsibility and should be treated like a family member - if they get sick go to a vet, feed the best, etc (although we all know some parents don't even threat their human children that well..) I currently work in a petbarn (we dont sell animals) and the amount of people that come in and completely rely on us to give them all the info they need to care for their animals is insane - no one does their own comprehensive research - which is required because you are caring for a different species, the basics of food, water, shelter don't cover it.

Im sure most people here care for animals very well, but many dont. I firmly believe that desexing for non-breeding animals (where appropriate) and licensing should be in place for every pet, and licensing and training for breeders - which yes, should most definitely be registered to avoid irresponsible breeding and animals suffering. There are lots of people out their breeding animals for the hell of it with no real knowledge of genetics or animal health.

I highly doubt that breeders will need to be a 'pet shop', but registration and training means you wont get idiots breeding animals and giving them to more idiots.

3. Likes DisturbedDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Hi Layla ,some of your points are valid but be in no doubt the govt is seriously looking at creating these new laws.They are being pushed by the big pet shops aiming to wipe out competition,not only will small time breeders suffer so will smaller shops.If people can't source pets they wont need to buy products.
    Think of what Coles,Woolies and Aldi have done to corner stores,once small stores are wiped out the big stores can charge what they like. These laws are "supposedly" meant to stop puppy farms but this is a con,1 of Sydney's biggest pet shops has just built an $800,000 puppy farm.
    slave to all my reptiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Oh, I'm very aware of the glorified puppy farm being set up at the moment by Kellyville pets, I see it has a massive set back for animal rights and welfare. The owners are completely in it for the money, have no compassion for rescues and give irresponsible advice to customers on the breeds they sell - purebreds with masses of genetic disorders.

Also, I'm not completely aware it seems of what these new laws that you're talking about are but I'll look into it...

6. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Layla View Post
    Oh, I'm very aware of the glorified puppy farm being set up at the moment by Kellyville pets, I see it has a massive set back for animal rights and welfare. The owners are completely in it for the money, have no compassion for rescues and give irresponsible advice to customers on the breeds they sell - purebreds with masses of genetic disorders.

Also, I'm not completely aware it seems of what these new laws that you're talking about are but I'll look into it...
    I deliver there and the massive expansion they have and are still undergoing shows they have no intention of slowing down,even their own staff talk about the greed of the owner.
    Apparently they only have 6 pairs to breed from,so the genetics aren't going to be that great
    Last edited by dragonlover1; 13-03-2018 at 09:16 PM.
    slave to all my reptiles

Subscriber Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Careful naming and shaming in a public forum. Brett could find himself in a legal wrangle not of his own making.
    The owner of the Turtle Forum named and shamed a vet. Ended up costing him a few $$$ compensation. It was his own doing in that case.
    Regards Brian
    www.briansworms.com
    woodies F/Sale

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Sorry, didn't even think about it that way.

Subscriber Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    So many people used to shame pet shops on the Turtle Forum. Always one side of the story. As a Mod l always insisted that names weren't used. People are all too keen to sue these days. When shaming always better to just generalise.
    Regards Brian
    www.briansworms.com
    woodies F/Sale

11. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post