Thread: HerpLog software project

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class31 days registered100 Experience Points

HerpLog software project

Okay, so I hope this is the right discussion board for this! As a way of giving back to the community for all the help that has been given to me, and just as a project to bide the time with and have some general fun, I've been working on HerpLog for the past few months. An alpha version is nearly ready and at the moment, there are no binaries available because I feel it is not quite ready for a general release to the public yet for some testing, but just from the screenshots alone, what do people here think of it so far? Plus do you have any suggestions and/or ideas for it that I may take into consideration?

I've been working on it since early December on and off and it's come quite a fair way since then, but if you are interested to hear about when the alpha will be released as a binary for general testing (for both Microsoft Windows and Linux), then feel free to subscribe to the newsletter at that page. Emails will only be sent most intermittently so as not to create spam, and with regard to major updates at that. But yes, let me know what you think of this application, please, and if you would use it!

EDIT:
    I plan on implementing charts as well, they just haven't been fully programmed in at this stage.
    Need to find a veterinarian that specializes with reptiles? There's a map available here: https://www.vitticeps.org/

We are currently developing an application called HerpLog which is a fast, secure and advanced note-taker, logger, and needs-manager for all your herpetology requirements. Check it out!

2. Likes briansworms, Dragon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    On the main screen, Either switch the first 2 lines around so Open Database Create Database is second not a biggie, I'm just anal and I'm sure people will be opening more often then creating ( of course after the install )

Or better still, add a file menu, with an open, create and recently opened sub menu

4. Thanks Phobos D'thorga thanked for this post
    Likes dragonlover1, Phobos D'thorga liked this post
    Subscriber Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    On the main screen, Either switch the first 2 lines around so Open Database Create Database is second not a biggie, I'm just anal and I'm sure people will be opening more often then creating ( of course after the install )

Or better still, add a file menu, with an open, create and recently opened sub menu
    As you used to be a moderator you have more knowledge than I would so I leave all suggested modifications to you,but it seems a bit weird there is no mention of food or shedding ? Or even light changes ?
    Last edited by dragonlover1; 27-03-2018 at 05:43 PM.
    slave to all my reptiles

6. Thanks Phobos D'thorga thanked for this post
    Likes Phobos D'thorga, Dragon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:

That I'd actually rather keep the way it is, since it's traditional in most applications to have the "Create" button first But yes! There's a file menu within the main window itself where you can also choose to create a database or open another one if you so wish. It wouldn't let me take a screenshot with it open though, so I had to take one within Qt Creator of all the Toolbar options that are available.

Screenshot from 2018-03-28 02-25-16.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dragonlover1 View Post
    As you used to be a moderator you have more knowledge than I would so I leave all suggested modifications to you,but it seems a bit weird there is no mention of food or shedding ? Or even light changes ?
    I haven't programmed the suggested feature into the backend yet (it'll only take 30-45 minutes AT MOST with how things are currently written), but I have already implemented some of the suggestions into the GUI as we speak That was an excellent idea to include information about shedding, and it won't require much effort/input from the user either! But you can select from none/mild/moderate/extensive, depending on just how much your reptile is shedding. I also added a field for food which another user on a different forum also suggested, and changed a pre-existing field to suggest that it can be used for medicine too.

Screenshot from 2018-03-28 02-22-37.jpg
    Screenshot from 2018-03-28 02-22-47.jpg

Keep the suggestions coming, people! ^_^

EDIT: Sorry, the screenshots are really small on this forum, so I uploaded them here - https://imgur.com/a/IySqq
    Need to find a veterinarian that specializes with reptiles? There's a map available here: https://www.vitticeps.org/

We are currently developing an application called HerpLog which is a fast, secure and advanced note-taker, logger, and needs-manager for all your herpetology requirements. Check it out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonlover1 View Post
    Use 2 be a moderator???? I still an a moderator

I never suggested anything like that I guess because I personally don't keep track of much, and not sure why anyone would, the only thing I keep tabs on ( slack at that 2 ) is her weight, light changes and sand changes. Food, shedding I certainly don't keep track of.

Maybe if I was a breeder, or had a larger collection I would keep track of more info...... maybe.

9. Thanks Phobos D'thorga thanked for this post
    Likes Phobos D'thorga liked this post
    Subscriber Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Phobos D'thorga View Post
    That I'd actually rather keep the way it is, since it's traditional in most applications to have the "Create" button first But yes! There's a file menu within the main window itself where you can also choose to create a database or open another one if you so wish. It wouldn't let me take a screenshot with it open though, so I had to take one within Qt Creator of all the Toolbar options that are available.

Screenshot from 2018-03-28 02-25-16.jpg

That was an excellent idea to include information about shedding, and it won't require much effort/input from the user either! But you can select from none/mild/moderate/extensive, depending on just how much your reptile is shedding. I also added a field for food which another user on a different forum also suggested, and changed a pre-existing field to suggest that it can be used for medicine too.

Keep the suggestions coming, people! ^_^
    I don't think we need various comments on shedding,just a date when shed happened ,same as feeding.My current data file only puts dates for feeds, non feeds, sheds, weight etc.
    slave to all my reptiles

11. Thanks Phobos D'thorga thanked for this post
    Likes Phobos D'thorga liked this post
    Subscriber Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Use 2 be a moderator???? I still an a moderator

I never suggested anything like that I guess because I personally don't keep track of much, and not sure why anyone would, the only thing I keep tabs on ( slack at that 2 ) is her weight, light changes and sand changes. Food, shedding I certainly don't keep track of.

Maybe if I was a breeder, or had a larger collection I would keep track of more info...... maybe.
    Sorry Todd,I thought you left the 4WD forum.I don't keep track of dragon sheds or feeds either but I have 4 pythons now so I tend to keep track of that and I used to keep track of light changes but with so many swap arounds of enclosures that sort of slipped as well
    slave to all my reptiles

13. Thanks Phobos D'thorga thanked for this post
    Likes Dragon, Phobos D'thorga liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    I thought it would be good to graph the amount of shedding your reptile in question is doing vs time, but okay, I'll make the default option in the combobox for shedding just "rather not say" or similar. Something null that won't show up on charts A lot of options are like that actually, you can pick and choose what to fill in and the program will just continue operating normally, but show things a little differently depending on what you've left out. It supports everything from the monitoring of just one reptile up to thousands or more.

15. Likes dragonlover1, Dragon liked this post
    Subscriber Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    here is a snap of 1 of my data pages to give you an idea of what I save,obviously it isn't a full data log.20180331_165352.jpg Absolutely no idea why this is sideways,bloody computers do what they want
    Last edited by dragonlover1; 31-03-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    slave to all my reptiles