Thread: How to get a bearded dragon baby to feed

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

How to get a bearded dragon baby to feed

Hi guys! Iíve taken on a disabled bearded dragon. Sometimes he eats some times he doesnít. What are ways that can make him want to feed?? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Subscriber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Hi Chloe,

How often between feeds?
    If you have just taken him on, he'll still be getting used to his surroundings and might be a bit flighty.
    The other things to be looked at is ensuring correct temps are being offered (high 30's, low 40's basking spot, mid-high 30s warm end, mid to high 20's cool end. If it's not warm enough, he won't want to eat, as without heat, he can't digest food properly.

Mine is on and off food at the moment, and is very actively trying to put himself to bed for the winter, which I am trying to keep him from doing as he is too young to bromate.

If you could advise your enclosure setup, either myself, or especially those a bit more knowledgeable, will be able to offer advice.

4. Likes briansworms, dragonlover1 liked this post
    Subscriber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Hi Chloe,
    You may have already sorted this out but thought I'd touch base as I too had many difficulties getting my baby beardie to eat when I first got him.
    What worked for me was bringing my tank temp up by just a couple of degrees... I was set for max 32 degrees and increased this to max 34 degrees. I also started him out on some apple puree to get his system working (I dipped a small syringe in the puree and just let him lick it off the top). He needed warm baths initially to get him pooing and keep him pooing regularly (massage tummy while bathing).
    After getting his system moving I worked on getting him to accept food from herp feeding tweezers - you can get small plastic tweezers from the pet shop. I would then dip the tweezers in apple puree and let him lick it off the end. Once he got to the stage of getting excited whenever I took the tweezers with apple puree to him, I moved on to wood roaches (he didn't like crickets). I would get a little bit of apple puree on the tweezers, then pick up a small dusted roach in the tweezers and wave it close to him. This did the trick. The wood roaches were the extra small size, they were expensive but he didn't eat much back then.
    This whole process took 3-4 weeks but was worth the effort. He became a lot more active and interested in food and then I moved to extra small crickets which he accepted. I also moved from apple puree to blueberries cut up into small pieces initially which I would drop into his tank because he liked to chase food by this stage. Gradually I added some peas to his diet because they are round and sweet like blueberries. From there I started throwing in little bits of grated carrot, spinach, and alfalfa sprouts.
    Now he is 2 years old and eats large crickets and a plate of shredded greens 4-5 days a week. He still doesn't like pooing in his tank so if he hasn't been for a while I give him a warm bath and massage his tummy, or put him out in the sun on a nice warm day.
    Hope this helps, Katie

6. Likes chloeforsterx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie4 View Post
    Hi Chloe,
    You may have already sorted this out but thought I'd touch base as I too had many difficulties getting my baby beardie to eat when I first got him.
    What worked for me was bringing my tank temp up by just a couple of degrees... I was set for max 32 degrees and increased this to max 34 degrees. I also started him out on some apple puree to get his system working (I dipped a small syringe in the puree and just let him lick it off the top). He needed warm baths initially to get him pooing and keep him pooing regularly (massage tummy while bathing).
    After getting his system moving I worked on getting him to accept food from herp feeding tweezers - you can get small plastic tweezers from the pet shop. I would then dip the tweezers in apple puree and let him lick it off the end. Once he got to the stage of getting excited whenever I took the tweezers with apple puree to him, I moved on to wood roaches (he didn't like crickets). I would get a little bit of apple puree on the tweezers, then pick up a small dusted roach in the tweezers and wave it close to him. This did the trick. The wood roaches were the extra small size, they were expensive but he didn't eat much back then.
    This whole process took 3-4 weeks but was worth the effort. He became a lot more active and interested in food and then I moved to extra small crickets which he accepted. I also moved from apple puree to blueberries cut up into small pieces initially which I would drop into his tank because he liked to chase food by this stage. Gradually I added some peas to his diet because they are round and sweet like blueberries. From there I started throwing in little bits of grated carrot, spinach, and alfalfa sprouts.
    Now he is 2 years old and eats large crickets and a plate of shredded greens 4-5 days a week. He still doesn't like pooing in his tank so if he hasn't been for a while I give him a warm bath and massage his tummy, or put him out in the sun on a nice warm day.
    Hope this helps, Katie
    Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk