Thread: Merry christmas

Moderator/Sponsor Awards:
    Posting Award
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree FriendsRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by itrdc5 View Post
    From the Vic gov website: "Reptiles must not be restricted or restrained by the use of a leash or tether."
    From RSPCA: "Tortoises should not be tied up on a leash."

Yes, it's true but I think we need to use common sense to try to understand why that's the case. My interpretation of it is that it should not be cruel to the animal nor dangerous to other people or wildlife. Cruelty could be leaving the animal normally tethered instead of being housed in a proper enclosure and in the case of frogs, imagine it trying to jump when it's on a leash. So, the two takeaways for me, is whether it's cruel or dangerous. I think it's definitely not cruel to a beardie to take it outside when it's sunny and warm for it to have natural heat and UVB. It also perks up their senses, eg. mine is always looking up at the sky for flying predators and also looking at the ground for any potential food. Is it dangerous? No, contrary to it, if it's not on a leash, it could run away if spooked and that would be dangerous to the beardie as it would probably not survive in the wild for long and you would be introducing an animal to the local ecosystem where it shouldn't belong. I also do not take my beardie into shops as not all humans like reptiles.

Does that make it not against the law? No, but Victoria is the mother of nanny states and I think we need to use our judgement as to whether it's acceptable or not, firstly, with your own conscience. Keeping an animal that is so easily handled, cooped up its entire life inside a small enclosure doesn't sit well with my own conscience.
    Yes it is dangerous, if your dragon decides to do the bolt it can put excessive amounts of pressure on vital organs. These laws are in place for perfectly good reasons not just for the hell of it. These stupid reptile harnesses should be banned. There's several other ways of giving your dragon some sun, building an outdoor enclosure for one. The
    Last edited by Asw Reptiles; 27-12-2018 at 01:26 PM.

2. Likes briansworms, Wally liked this post
    Senior Member Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 315
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesRecommendation Second ClassThree FriendsYour first Group10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by itrdc5 View Post
    From the Vic gov website: "Reptiles must not be restricted or restrained by the use of a leash or tether."
    From RSPCA: "Tortoises should not be tied up on a leash."

Yes, it's true but I think we need to use common sense to try to understand why that's the case. My interpretation of it is that it should not be cruel to the animal nor dangerous to other people or wildlife. Cruelty could be leaving the animal normally tethered instead of being housed in a proper enclosure and in the case of frogs, imagine it trying to jump when it's on a leash. So, the two takeaways for me, is whether it's cruel or dangerous. I think it's definitely not cruel to a beardie to take it outside when it's sunny and warm for it to have natural heat and UVB. It also perks up their senses, eg. mine is always looking up at the sky for flying predators and also looking at the ground for any potential food. Is it dangerous? No, contrary to it, if it's not on a leash, it could run away if spooked and that would be dangerous to the beardie as it would probably not survive in the wild for long and you would be introducing an animal to the local ecosystem where it shouldn't belong. I also do not take my beardie into shops as not all humans like reptiles.

Does that make it not against the law? No, but Victoria is the mother of nanny states and I think we need to use our judgement as to whether it's acceptable or not, firstly, with your own conscience. Keeping an animal that is so easily handled, cooped up its entire life inside a small enclosure doesn't sit well with my own conscience.
    And your posting of photos that clearly go against the wishes of the government bodies that oversee our right to keep reptiles can bring nothing but good vibes!

You are clearly new to the hobby with little experience in what the overreaching arm of governance can do to ones interests. Ignore others advice at your peril. You obviously know better.

4. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Merry Christmas to you and yours Wally, good to see you still check in ocassionally
    slave to all my reptiles

6. Likes Wally, briansworms liked this post
    Senior Member Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 315
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesRecommendation Second ClassThree FriendsYour first Group10000 Experience Points
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family also Rick.

8. Thanks dragonlover1 thanked for this post
    Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Merry Christmas and all the best for the new year ����

10. Likes dragonlover1, briansworms liked this post