Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points

Hello from South Africa

Hi Guys

Greetings from South Africa.

I have always wanted a bearded dragon and my daughter has asked nicely for one for. Her birthday on 16 May 2019. There is a reptile expo in Joburg on 4 May and we hope to pick up "our" dragon then.

I have done a fair amount of research over the past two weeks, from reading on websites and forums to watching YouTube videos. I think all the reading and watching has made me confused, so I have a lot of questions. This is more so because every source of info says something else!

Cheers

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

2. Likes briansworms, dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Welcome to the Forum. Can you send some pics of your set up. What temps are you getting at the warm end and cool ends? Best to have these sorted now before your dragon arrives. Well done on doing your research. When our resident experts chime in you will get correct advice.
    Regards Brian
    www.briansworms.com
    woodies F/Sale

4. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Hello and welcome to the forum, I'm pretty sure you are the first member from South Africa. Read through our forums and you can't go wrong, we find that a lot of American info is confusing and downright incorrect; they seem to think that beardies come from rain forests which is far from the truth - they come from the desert so need a totally different approach.
    This is Australia's premier forum for bearded dragons and we offer quality information and don't tolerate fools or hackers so you can be assured the info we offer is correct.
    slave to all my reptiles

6. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    South Africa - wowsers, I so want to visit someday. From what I've heard a big hurdle for you is going to be food. What can you get where you are that is a good reliable, clean bug supply? No good getting a beardie until you sort the food out, they're cranky little buggers when they're hungry.

8. Likes dragonlover1, briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by briansworms View Post
    Welcome to the Forum. Can you send some pics of your set up. What temps are you getting at the warm end and cool ends? Best to have these sorted now before your dragon arrives. Well done on doing your research. When our resident experts chime in you will get correct advice.
    My idea was to have everything in place before we get the dragon, so I'm slowly getting everything we need. My plan was to build my own 1.2m x 50cm x 60cm enclosure, but I would not have been finished in time as we are going away the coming weekend from Friday until Wednesday next week (1 May 2019). I looked on our local facebook group and got some type of exo-terra clone for a steal. Its dimensions are 80cm x 45cm x 53cm, so I will have to upgrade, but that gives me the time to build the other enclosure. As for the lighting I only bought a roof pendant at our local hardware superstore and converted that to a plug-in lamp. AT this stage I only have a regular 100w globe, but will change that to a more concentrated spot globe (like this one https://www.makro.co.za/makstorefron...00000050580_EA )
    As for UVB I was thinking of getting the Exo Terra UVB 150 Compact and use it in this fitting ( https://www.builders.co.za/Electrica...00000000417570 ) inside the tank, although the advice on another forum is to avoid compacts and go only with tubes. I would have preferred to use a MVB, but I understand that the tank is too small.
    As for subtrate I settled on tile based on other advice, but I see here that it is possible to use sand, so I am leaning towards that. We don't have the same brands here in SA, but I was looking at this https://www.makro.co.za/makstorefron...hoCljkQAvD_BwE

Another aspect I need some advice about is about water. From what I read there should be no water bowl and then to soak the dragon every second day, but I guess this might also be wrong.

That's all I can think of at this stage. I will ask more as the questions pop up.

Thanks.

P.S. Here is the enclosure

IMG_20190422_085546.jpg

10. Likes dragonlover1, briansworms, Kimmy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendalyn View Post
    South Africa - wowsers, I so want to visit someday. From what I've heard a big hurdle for you is going to be food. What can you get where you are that is a good reliable, clean bug supply? No good getting a beardie until you sort the food out, they're cranky little buggers when they're hungry.
    No problem with food.

A online shop here sells crickets, dubias, meal worms, superworms and other feeder insects and most of the petshops nearby sells crickets.

12. Likes briansworms, Rendalyn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    seems like you have sorted most of the problems, well done.Except for 150W globe which is probably too hot, unless your temps in SA are very low but I think you have a similar climate to Australia.In my 120x60x60 I use 75-100W lamps.In my 120x60x70 I can use 125W MVB.
    there was a problem a few years ago with compact UVB being defective but this problem has been corrected.
    Your version of play sand should be fine, just check whether it is manufactured sand or natural river sand, the difference being whether the crystals are sharp or smooth;obviously the smooth version is preferable.
    Water is a big topic everywhere.Personally I have water bowls in every enclosure because even though beardies don't acknowledge standing water my dragons like to have a soak on hot days. I think as long as you have adequate ventilation and a dry environment (ie sand) you should have no problems.Some people like to mist. The choice is yours. A lot depends on your humidity levels ;Below 25% you could use water bowl ,above this maybe not. Bathing should only be done if shedding and when it is a problem.
    slave to all my reptiles

14. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonlover1 View Post
    seems like you have sorted most of the problems, well done.Except for 150W globe which is probably too hot, unless your temps in SA are very low but I think you have a similar climate to Australia.In my 120x60x60 I use 75-100W lamps.In my 120x60x70 I can use 125W MVB.
    there was a problem a few years ago with compact UVB being defective but this problem has been corrected.
    Your version of play sand should be fine, just check whether it is manufactured sand or natural river sand, the difference being whether the crystals are sharp or smooth;obviously the smooth version is preferable.
    Water is a big topic everywhere.Personally I have water bowls in every enclosure because even though beardies don't acknowledge standing water my dragons like to have a soak on hot days. I think as long as you have adequate ventilation and a dry environment (ie sand) you should have no problems.Some people like to mist. The choice is yours. A lot depends on your humidity levels ;Below 25% you could use water bowl ,above this maybe not. Bathing should only be done if shedding and when it is a problem.
    Thanks for the advice.

The 150w was only used as an example, I was planning to get a lower wattage one.

Today I found a place here in SA that sells the Megaray 70w MVB. Should I get that, taking into account my enclosure size or can I stick to the UVB150 Compact.

Also I just wanted to make sure again. The UVB150 can be fit inside the enclosure under the screen whereas the MVB can be put inside the dome on top of the screen?

Temps is SA are not that low now but we are going into winter when the temps can go well below 10C at night. What is the best option for heating at night?

16. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    that 70W MVB should be alright but it must be inside. Mesh cuts UV by up to 80% depending on the size of the mesh and glass cuts UV by almost 100% so UV lights MUST be inside and MVB being 3 in 1 is the same.
    There was a thread a few years ago where we decided that as long as the temp doesn't get below 12C no heat is required but remember that inside your house is not that cold. If you really need any heat maybe get a small CHE (ceramic heat emitter) these produce no light ,a 50W would probably be big enough as you don't want it too hot, dragons need to cool down at night for good health. I use 1 for my frilled neck dragons because they are a tropical species and winter in Sydney is too chilly for them and they don't brumate.
    slave to all my reptiles

18. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonlover1 View Post
    that 70W MVB should be alright but it must be inside. Mesh cuts UV by up to 80% depending on the size of the mesh and glass cuts UV by almost 100% so UV lights MUST be inside and MVB being 3 in 1 is the same.
    There was a thread a few years ago where we decided that as long as the temp doesn't get below 12C no heat is required but remember that inside your house is not that cold. If you really need any heat maybe get a small CHE (ceramic heat emitter) these produce no light ,a 50W would probably be big enough as you don't want it too hot, dragons need to cool down at night for good health. I use 1 for my frilled neck dragons because they are a tropical species and winter in Sydney is too chilly for them and they don't brumate.
    Thanks.

I've got everything now. The sand, the ornaments some driftwood and both lights.

Just one quick question. I've put in about 2 inches of play sand at the bottom of the tank. Do I leave the sand as is or do I compact by hand?

20. Likes briansworms liked this post