Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercury Vapour Bulbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 99.0%

Question Mercury Vapour Bulbs

Hey guys so i have been in the preparation phase of getting my first baby bearded dragon. I have bought all of the stuff i got a MicroClimate Evo lite thermostat a Repti Sun 10.0 T5 HO UVB Tube 39W and a solar glo heat lamp 160W.

Issue is i just found out you can not use a thermostat on these bulbs so basically i have a few questions because i'm contemplating on selling it at the moment.

What are your guys thoughts on these bulbs are MVB the best way to provide your dragon with uvb and uva light or are there other recommended ways?

Is there any way of using this Bulb with this thermostat or is the only way to get the correct heat spot is by adjusting the height of the bulb from the tank?

Also something else i need to mention is i have not incorporated night time heating, basically i want the absolute best environment for my dragon but i really want to be able to use a thermostat that i have paid so much money for to give my dragon the ideal temperatures. You guys are a lot more experienced and would know a bit more about bearded dragons then i would so i would really appreciate your feedback.

I have heard good things about MVB's however i have not had any experience with them let alone any heating.

2. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    I just look at the table and saw that if i put it 4 inches away from the basking spot i get a 39 degree hot spot but for a baby bearded dragon it is recommended to have it inbetween 35c and 43c so basically its going to provide adequate heat however your dragon is going to pretty damn close to the bulb being only 10cm and then if i move it 8 inches i get a 35c hot spot which is adequate not quite as hot as i would like however it gives them an extra 10cm. To be honest i don't really like the idea of this.

I was thinking of getting a basking spot lamp 150w which would supply the uva and heat they need. while the repti sun tube will supply the uvb my dragon needs...

4. Likes briansworms, dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Welcome to the Forum. Someone smarter than me will soon have an answer. Always best to check here before you buy. Pet shops will have you buy everything whether you need it or not.
    You wont need night time heat.
    Regards Brian
    www.briansworms.com
    woodies F/Sale

6. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Awesome buddy good to hear

8. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    What I’m thinking of doing once the dragon grows a bit is getting a bigger tank and have a basking lamp on the left side with a mvb in middle and then cool spot on right side with a uvb tube going the length of the entire enclosure. However this will not be happening soon maybe 6 months+

10. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    I don't have much experience with MVB, however am aware the good quality ones are better than a good quality fluro. That being said, fluro can be more than adequate.

From what I know, running both MVB and fluro is a bad idea, likely to overdose on UVB, similar results as if you were to stand in the sun unprotected.

They get enough exposure while basking under the MVB

Either way will work fine, but running both isn't ideal

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

12. Likes dragonlover1, briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    MVB's are pretty dam awesome, no you can not use them with thermostats, they just don't work with being turned on and off quickly, personally don't see the need for thermostats anyway, Use timers and get 2 know your terrarium temps and the forecast temps for your area adjust accordingly.
    If your house temps get 10deg or below of a night time which I doubt I would just use a heat mat rather than lighting for heating.

160w I dare say is way overkill but that is dependent on your size terrarium, I have a 125w MVB and in summertime I switch out for a heat bulb and uvb very quickly

14. Likes dragonlover1, briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    It's a pity you didn't come here before you wasted all your money.You definitely can't use a thermo with a MVB as Toddie said. And you don't need a flouro UVB as well as a MVB as Dave said you can overdo UV. Can you take them back for a refund saying you were given bad advice by the sales staff?
    160W seems like a pretty big lamp, how big is your enclosure? I only use 125W in my 120x60x70cm enclosures and get basking temps of 40C at 10cm. The 120x60x60cm enclosures have 100W or 75W spot lamps with a 60cm UV tube and get similar temps but then again these enclosures are wood or melamine, you are possibly using a glass enclosure which doesn't hold heat as well.
    Also you don't need night heat, beardies should be allowed to cool down at night for health reasons. As you are in QLD the nights won't get low enough to worry about.
    slave to all my reptiles

16. Likes Dragon, briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    When you upgrade look at getting a melamine viv rather than glass. All my friends above will agree as you will retain more heat and temperature fluctuations will be less. See I am learning too lol
    Regards Brian
    www.briansworms.com
    woodies F/Sale

18. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by briansworms View Post
    When you upgrade look at getting a melamine viv rather than glass. All my friends above will agree as you will retain more heat and temperature fluctuations will be less. See I am learning too lol
    My terrarium is all glass with a mesh roof and think it actually works in my favor during summer, winter is not really an issue as she spends most of it in brumation anyway, I did have issues with heat loss during her first brumation when I was trying 2 keep her awake but solved that issue with about 30mm thick foam attached 2 the glass on sides and back and used a piece of cardboard covering the mesh roof.

20. Likes dragonlover1, briansworms liked this post