Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what's happening with shed atm. Help please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Not sure what's happening with shed atm. Help please.

Hi all my bearded dragon is going into pre shed but what is concerning me atm is his front left leg has gone white while the rest of his body is only just started to look like pre shed.
    I was wondering if this may be the previous shed that did not happen properly and now there is 2 layers. ( I thought he had a full shed last time but now I'm second guessing myself thinking I missed it) . Any advice to to help my dragon would be great.
    P.s. he is about to get his weekly warm bath. 20190529_094659.jpg

2. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran5000 Experience Points
    I haven't had a shed that caused issues but he looks fine to me - Opie doesn't shed her entire body all at once anymore now she is older so I'm guessing that's whats happening here. I am sure someone else will chip in if there is reason for concern

4. Likes briansworms, Sharpee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    It looks to me like that leg is ready to shed before the rest of the body, a bit unusual for a leg to shed first but I wouldn't panic. Give him a warm bath and see how he goes
    slave to all my reptiles

6. Likes briansworms, Sharpee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Thanks for the input. He has had a long soak and is still acting normal. One other thing I didn't think about was it's now winter and I'm using the heater often so I'm struggling to keep the humidity at a constant level.
    I'll swap the substrate out tomorrow in an attempt to get better humidity and give him a bath every second day till he sheds just as a precaution.

8. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Senior Member Awards:
    Calendar Award
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    that leg just looks like its getting ready to shed(as Dl and Kimmy have already mentioned) My concern here is weekly baths and attempting to get better humidity,
    sounds like a recipe for a RI .

10. Thanks Sharpee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    As Grubandk (Rob) has said too frequent baths and high humidity are a recipe for disaster. You really don't want your beardy to get RI (respiratory infection) it is a beardies worst nightmare . Bearded dragons want a low humidity of under 30%, remember they come from the desert. If you continue pumping it up over 50% then you will have health issues.
    slave to all my reptiles

12. Thanks Sharpee thanked for this post
    Likes grubandk, briansworms, Sharpee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonlover1 View Post
    As Grubandk (Rob) has said too frequent baths and high humidity are a recipe for disaster. You really don't want your beardy to get RI (respiratory infection) it is a beardies worst nightmare . Bearded dragons want a low humidity of under 30%, remember they come from the desert. If you continue pumping it up over 50% then you will have health issues.
    the humidity has been a constant 30-33 percent over the summer months with the occasional rise to 40ish on rainy days ( I put a lot of effort into the set up before purchasing my beardie to ensure I had the correct temps and humidity). however I have noticed going into winter that it has been changing on a daily basis (usually 40% in the mornings and around 25% of a late evening after I have heated the house) I have always aimed for a pretty constant 30% or less
    I was advised a weekly bath was good for beardies if I am not keeping a water bowl in his tank....
    was I advised incorrectly?
    how often should he get offered a bath? (should I drop it to every 2-3 weeks)
    Should I try a small water bowl in his cage?

Note: with the bath it has always been in the bath tub with a dry spot (I sit a Cement paving tile in the center of the bath so he has an island to sit on. it is always his choice if he gets in the water or not. (usually 2 out of 3 baths he will hop in the water for varying lengths of time. 1min to 10min max with an average 3 to 5min)

as this guy is my first reptile I did months of research before making my decision to get one as a pet and have been keeping good records of food, behaviour and other observed changes. so if I notice anything peculiar I can go back and see if it has happened previously and what I have done recently that could have contributed to the change.

Just goes to show no matter how much time and effort you put into getting everything right for your pet you can still get caught out with miss information.

just for the record and to double check I have got everything else right.
    Hot spot 40 Degrees with a temperature gradient outside the hot spot of 35 degrees down to 26 degrees from one end of the tank to the other.
    Humidity I want a constant 25% to 30% (usually 30 - 33% in his current setup)
    Diet is daily crickets and a mix of Bok Choy, Parsley, Green cabbage and when I can find it kale
    every 3 to 4 days I offer a small amount of Dried Mealworms, carrot, zucchini and either sweet potato or broccoli as well as his daily offering (he has only tried the Mealworms, carrot and sweet potato)
    I have offered him some Apple, Blueberries and Strawberries as a treat but he is yet to eat any of these.

14. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Your temps sound okay but could be a little higher.

Bathing every week is not needed and over the top.Bathing is only needed when in shed and only if it's a problem. I gave my 10YO a bath this summer for the first time in a couple of years because of a difficult shed, none of my other dragons have had a bath in years but had a few when younger. You are better off misting him.

Humidity can be kept lower by using sand as the substrate as it absorbs atmospheric moisture, and as for water bowls a lot of people don't use them but every one of my dragons have one as they like a soak on hot days especially the pygmies.Using sand and even with water bowls I average about 25-30% humidity.

I would change the diet a little so he has 2 colours in the veg not just green every day, I am surprised he doesn't like blueberries as it is the first thing to disappear from my plates.

Have you seen this website? , http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
    slave to all my reptiles

16. Thanks Sharpee thanked for this post
    Likes briansworms, grubandk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonlover1 View Post
    Your temps sound okay but could be a little higher.

Bathing every week is not needed and over the top.Bathing is only needed when in shed and only if it's a problem. I gave my 10YO a bath this summer for the first time in a couple of years because of a difficult shed, none of my other dragons have had a bath in years but had a few when younger. You are better off misting him.

Humidity can be kept lower by using sand as the substrate as it absorbs atmospheric moisture, and as for water bowls a lot of people don't use them but every one of my dragons have one as they like a soak on hot days especially the pygmies.Using sand and even with water bowls I average about 25-30% humidity.

I would change the diet a little so he has 2 colours in the veg not just green every day, I am surprised he doesn't like blueberries as it is the first thing to disappear from my plates.

Have you seen this website? , http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
    Thanks for the advice I'll check out the website and get some sand as soon as I can.

18. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    The Stooge totally sheds in bits too. Last year it was half his head. You heard correctly, HALF his head like Bowie in his Ziggy Stardust days. Recently it was half his tail, the top bit near his ass and the rest shows no sign of being anywhere near shedding. Maybe I should have named him halfass... I can't really remember the last time he had a bath (I lie, last year I bought him home from a stay at the vets and he had shit dried under his tail, I had to bath him to get it off), he prefers showers anyway so during Summer he might get a shower to play in once a month at most. Vandal has had a couple of quick 2 minute baths in the past 10 weeks since he came home, he's had a big shed just recently so we loosened some of the last bits around his toes just in case, and twice now he's managed to troupe through a crap and get it on him.

20. Likes dragonlover1, briansworms liked this post