Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Thermostats or timers?

Hi all,

I'm a new member, but I've been checking out this forum for a while now. I'm a soon-to-be first time reptile owner and will be getting my first beardie late this year. I've been researching beardies for about a month now and will continue researching so I can set my enclosure up the right way. So far I've bought a Mojocow PS1 light setup and an Arcadia T5 UVB light, and I'm currently getting a 4x2x2 melamine enclosure built.
    One thing I'm having trouble with though is trying to decide whether to buy a thermostat or just run my lights on a timer, and that's where hopefully you guys come in! Can you please tell me whether you use thermostats or timers, give me some info and try to make my decision a little easier? So far the responses I've gotten on other pages has been around 50/50, so I'm still on the fence. I mainly want to know which option is easier to manage and safer for a first timer, and hear about some of your setups and experiences.

Thanks guys!

2. Likes Daphne liked this post
    Senior Member Awards:
    Calendar Award
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 476
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    I only run timers now , did do the stat thing for a while but found globes didn't seem to last , also every time there was a black out I would have to relearn how to program again
    timers are easy once you work out what globes to use to get the temps required for expected weather
    I normally run 75w in spring-Autumn and 60w in summer , when days are hot a put in a break from heat in the middle of the day for a couple of hours
    not hard to setup at all

4. Likes Daphne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    I also run timers on all my enclosures, As Rob says it's easy to set up and you can add a siesta on a hot day. I have multiple reptiles so every enclosure is set up different. Plus I have heard some horror stories of thermo's breaking down and cooking reptiles.Plus thermo's burn out light globes faster due the constant on/off
    My son bought an expensive thermo for his 5 stack skink enclosure and could never get it to work properly so he switched back to timers
    slave to all my reptiles

6. Likes Daphne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points
    I have my dragons lights on a timer, because the flickering out wears the bulbs pretty fast. In my leopard geckos enclosure I use a thermostat on a heat mat. For safety. I have several temperature probes in my dragons enclosure and one sends the data to my phone. So I can monitor it even easier. Hope this helps.

Good luck and have fun with the preparations!

8. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post