Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered

Left to Die .....

Hi Guys,

My wife is a property manger for a real estate company and during a routine inspection of a rental property " 6 months ago " she noticed an old reptile enclosure out in the carport, this was just around the time I had been planning on getting a Beardie so thinking I might be interested in the enclosure she inquired about it to the tenants, she was told it was for a bearded dragon that had died and that they no longer needed it. The wife contacted me and sent me a pic but I wasn't interested it as it was to small for what I wanted .

So during another routine inspection this weekend she again noticed that the enclosure was still there in the carport, this time she decided to have a better look as she noticed some branches and rocks and lights and leads inside and thought it might come in handy as a spare set up as I do have plans on getting another dragon and it might work for a young juvie, enclosure is 900mm L x 600mm H x 400mm W . She looked inside to take some pics to show me and to her surprise there was a beardie poking its head out from under a log, she took a picture of it and approached the owners to understand what is going on, she was informed that it was around 15 years old and belonged to the kids and that they had lost interest in it and not owning a car it was to difficult to get crickets or re home it so they decided to unplug the lights and put it out in the carport and that it will just die from the cold.

So needless to say the wife couldn't leave it so I arrived home from work to find this emaciated old dragon in my living room, my current dragon is at the other end of the house as I want to maintain quarantine until I can get to the reptile vet to have it checked over. This dragon has been outside in cold Melbourne weather for 6 months no food or water and is still alive. I have set up a temporary enclosure, I have also given it a good long soaking as it was filthy and to try and hydrate it, I left it to acclimatize slowly to room temperature and have started to increase heat over the weekend, It has eaten a few pieces of pumpkin and after I chilled some woodies in the freezer and placed them under its chin it has eaten a few, it showed zero interest in super worms or juicy silkworms . Today it had a poop which was a bit green and runny but had good white urates . In its original set up it had an infrared heat bulb and 5.0 uvb compact bulb, I don't know how this dragon is still alive. I will post some pics so you can see it's condition.

Attached pic is what my my wife took when she looked into the enclosure
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Here is a few more pics

4. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Sorry guys last pics came out a bit small,

6. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    What an amazing story; first up I'm blown away that a dragon could last 6 months without food or heat, it must have been in a state of semi brumation .
    The worst part is how callous some people can be, bad enough they had the wrong lights before consigning it to the bin but being too lazy to feed it or re-home it beggars belief. They could have just released it so it would have had some chance of survival.
    That last pic really shows how emaciated it is, the tail and rear legs are the worst I've ever seen
    slave to all my reptiles

8. Thanks QuinnDragon thanked for this post
    Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    I also thought to myself why didn't they just release it, instead they decided to give it a slow painful death, mind blown!!!
    The air vent covers on its enclosure were broken off so I'm thinking that maybe some bugs or spiders might have gone in and it possibly was able to eat them, Its so weak that its legs tremble when it tries to stand or walk.

This morning I tried some frozen minibeast reptile food which I defrosted into a liquid consistency and used a syringe and luckily it lapped some up, when I got home from work this evening I could see it had eaten a few bits of pumpkin. I dusted up a combo of crickets and woodies and offered them up in a feed tote, again I had to slightly chill them to slow them down as its to weak and slow to catch them, it actually showed some interest in the movement of the bugs and attempted to catch some, it caught a couple and then I was able to feed some juicy woodies from a feed tongs, I was actually able to get a substantial meal into, maybe there is some life left in this old dragon.

I would love to just give it some sort of a life and comfort, maybe I can get some condition back on to it. The previous owners said it was around 15 years old, I don't know if that's true or not but hopefully I can give it some comfort in its final years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    I'd like to congratulate you for your care and consideration of an old reptile, many people would have just shrugged their shoulders and gone " oh well it's just an old lizard" but just like our parents they deserve a decent retirement
    slave to all my reptiles

11. Likes grubandk, Kimmy, briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by QuinnDragon View Post
    I also thought to myself why didn't they just release it, instead they decided to give it a slow painful death, mind blown!!!
    The air vent covers on its enclosure were broken off so I'm thinking that maybe some bugs or spiders might have gone in and it possibly was able to eat them, Its so weak that its legs tremble when it tries to stand or walk.

This morning I tried some frozen minibeast reptile food which I defrosted into a liquid consistency and used a syringe and luckily it lapped some up, when I got home from work this evening I could see it had eaten a few bits of pumpkin. I dusted up a combo of crickets and woodies and offered them up in a feed tote, again I had to slightly chill them to slow them down as its to weak and slow to catch them, it actually showed some interest in the movement of the bugs and attempted to catch some, it caught a couple and then I was able to feed some juicy woodies from a feed tongs, I was actually able to get a substantial meal into, maybe there is some life left in this old dragon.

I would love to just give it some sort of a life and comfort, maybe I can get some condition back on to it. The previous owners said it was around 15 years old, I don't know if that's true or not but hopefully I can give it some comfort in its final years.
    This is a wonderful thing you are doing for this poor old dragon.

13. Likes briansworms liked this post