Thread: Left to Die .....

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Hi all,

Just thought it was about time I did an update on our rescue which has now been named Goldie !!!
    So its just been over 1 month since we took her in and she has come on leaps and bounds, She is now eating like a champ and doesn't say no to any bugs or veg she is offered.
    She is in the process of going through a shed and is looking much brighter.

She has put on weight and muscle tone which is great, she is able to stand up and walk and hunt bugs by herself in her feed tote.
    She is still very slow and methodical when walking and sort of reminds me a chameleon in her movements.
    We did have an issue with some stuck shed which is also sorted now and our Reptile vet has given her a clean bill of health, she does have some twisted toes and her legs are an odd shape
    which we presume was from incorrect uvb and lack of supplements.

We have noticed that her eyesight isn't particularly the best and she hunts bugs more by sound, it's funny to watch as she will chase bugs with her tongue sticking out trying to catch them,
    she also sometimes mistakes her own foot as a bug and tries to eat it

Question for you all, do our dragons eyesight deteriorate with age ??? or is eyesight deterioration more to do with bad husbandry .
    Overall she is doing great and we are delighted to have her as a part of our family.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by QuinnDragon View Post
    Hi all,

Just thought it was about time I did an update on our rescue which has now been named Goldie !!!
    So its just been over 1 month since we took her in and she has come on leaps and bounds, She is now eating like a champ and doesn't say no to any bugs or veg she is offered.
    She is in the process of going through a shed and is looking much brighter.

She has put on weight and muscle tone which is great, she is able to stand up and walk and hunt bugs by herself in her feed tote.
    She is still very slow and methodical when walking and sort of reminds me a chameleon in her movements.
    We did have an issue with some stuck shed which is also sorted now and our Reptile vet has given her a clean bill of health, she does have some twisted toes and her legs are an odd shape
    which we presume was from incorrect uvb and lack of supplements.

We have noticed that her eyesight isn't particularly the best and she hunts bugs more by sound, it's funny to watch as she will chase bugs with her tongue sticking out trying to catch them,
    she also sometimes mistakes her own foot as a bug and tries to eat it

Question for you all, do our dragons eyesight deteriorate with age ??? or is eyesight deterioration more to do with bad husbandry .
    Overall she is doing great and we are delighted to have her as a part of our family.
    Great job with her. Does she seem to have problems with her eyesight on both sides? Her left pupil (in the 1st photo) looks sort of oval, like a football, and beardies have round pupils normally. Does it always look like that and is the other eye the same? I wonder if her eye could have been injured at some point. But as long as she's eventually getting her food and not eating her feet too often, she should cope. She's still a very lucky beardie to have been rescued by you!

4. Thanks QuinnDragon thanked for this post
    Likes dragonlover1, briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Hmm, as Larry has pointed out her left eye is a weird shape so it might be an injury or dietary deficiency, or even a natural thing. I wouldn't say that age does not diminish vision because I know humans have this problem, me included but I have an almost 12YO beardy and he is like a teenager when it comes to food, he sees and attacks with no problems.
    slave to all my reptiles

6. Likes QuinnDragon, briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    I never noticed the shape of her pupils before, I just checked and yes just her left pupil is oval, the right is round but not perfectly round.
    I will pay more attention now to see which side she favours more and if she tends to notice more through the right eye.
    Overall it wont affect her as I feed her bugs in a large tote and she has no problem finding her salad bowl and basking spots.
    Thanks for the keen observation..

8. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    A damaged eye definitely plays a part in feeding/hunting . 1 of my frillies has a damaged eye and no longer feeds herself so I am forced to hand feed her a couple of times a week, a task I am not looking forward to because she is only 3YO and should live for another 12 years or so
    slave to all my reptiles

10. Likes briansworms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points
    she seem happy to be with you. take more care for her so that she wont feel any longer bad. Anyway you did a good job for taking her in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    I'm so glad to see your update. May you have many happy times together.
    My 4 year old sees better out of one eye than the other. Vet can't find why one bulges a bit but he's ruled out a few of the nastiest so we just work with it.

13. Likes briansworms liked this post