Thread: bearded dragon maturity and more

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Question bearded dragon maturity and more

Hi I've had two bearded dragons (Link and Athena both central bearded dragons) for 20 months now (had them since they where babies both are same age) and had a few questions.
    1. Link is around 40cm long and Athena 35cm long (Athena has a shorter and a bit fatter tail than Link) is this an ok size for their age? and will they keep growing?
    2. How can I determine their genders I have done the flash light trick to Athena and she seems to be female however she has never laid eggs and only recently started to be a bit lethargic only really moving to catch crickets. Link on the other hand is very energetic moving heaps climbing etc (I'm going to refer to Link as male because that's what I believe he is) he eats plenty but doesn't seem to put on a heap of weight I've been upping there food a bit more as well to see if he needed more now onto the gender part I cant tell with the flash light if he is male or female because he has a slimmer tail and it is hard to determine but he does head bob and show dark colours fairly often. he doesn't head bob towards Athena however more to himself.
    3. They have been housed together all their lives (as far as I know) and are still in the same enclosure together. Now I have seen many things saying you shouldn't keep them together because they are territorial however neither of them fight or show aggression to each other and they seem to get along fine which posses the question will they not mate because neither of them is dominate? or do they not want to mate with each other?

here are some other details substrate is coco coir and play sand (which I have heard make a good mix) 4 foot tank uv light that covers the entire tank (only a couple weeks old so not in need of a change) and a 75 watt ceramic heat lamp. their diets are fresh fruits and veg such as banana (occasional treat) lettuce grapes strawberries kale and other greens bugs are meal worms and crickets.
    pictures provides are from today 19/01/21
    (if their tank looks a bit bare I'm getting some plants for it soon to make it look more lively)
    IMG_1325.jpgIMG_1324.jpgIMG_1326.jpgIMG_1328.jpgIMG_1330.jpg
    Link is the one who is on my hand and Athena is the one on the rock.
    Any help or info on any of these questions is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Hello Kaleb, sorry for the late reply. First up they shouldn't have laid any eggs yet as they are too young so don't be disappointed .
    The first season usually starts when they are 18-24 months old, although weight plays more of a part.
    Did you measure your dragons from snout to tail or as should be done, snout to vent (anus) because tails can vary in length.
    I think you should cut back on the fruit and offer more hard veg, fruit is full of sugar and can rot their teeth but harder things like carrots offer jaw exercise.
    Also mealworms are high in fat and chitin but low in protein. You are better off offering things like superworms,silkworms if you can get them or black soldier fly larvae (BSFL). Crickets are pretty good but see if you can add some woodies to the diet.
    But more importantly you need to get a hot lamp in there, ceramics are pretty useless because dragons look for a bright white light in the sky to heat them up.
    Most of us use a Philips spot lamp from Bunnings etc. These are fairly cheap, about $7 for 2.
    A good source of info on food is http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
    slave to all my reptiles

3. Thanks Kaleb thanked for this post
    Likes Kaleb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Thanks for the info!
    Also on Links behaviour I have heard that females can head bob but was unsure, is there a better way to check gender or is it safe to assume he is male? also neither is more dominant than the other will that change when they get a bit older or no? I'll check out that heat light and look into getting some super worms/silkworms and woodies is their any good online sources for these that I can buy in bulk? (and hopefully breed up myself which i had tried to do with woodies not to long ago) And for the sizing I was measuring from snout to tail so from snout to vent they are 14.5 cm for Link and 16 cm for Athena.
    Thanks again!

5. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    It's true that sometimes females head bob, but if you have a male and female you would notice a difference. Males bob and females dip in submission, wait till this spring/summer to look for a change in behaviour. If you have a pair this is when it will show.
    I buy my woodies from Briansworms.com , he is a good dealer. Silkworms are a bit more difficult to locate, you'll have to find a local supplier
    slave to all my reptiles

7. Likes Kaleb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Thank you and is this the light you use? https://www.bunnings.com.au/philips-...-pack_p4340913

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    yep, that's the one. They come in different sizes so you need to experiment to find the 1 you need. I have several different size enclosures plus you have to think of different seasons so I keep lots of different size globes so I can change them to suit.
    It's late now but I'll talk about sexing tomorrow
    slave to all my reptiles

10. Likes Kaleb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    How much heat does the lights you recommended put out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleb View Post
    How much heat does the lights you recommended put out?
    it depends on the size and construction materials of your enclosure. As I said you need to experiment.
    As a rough guide, I use 75 or 100W in 4' wooden enclosures and 40-60W in my 2 & 3 ', but I am in Sydney so my usage could be different to yours.
    slave to all my reptiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Just on another note Athena doesn't run around like link and never has and as I watch more videos and do more research they bring up metabolically bone disease and how beardies wont run around they sort of just crawl I'm not sure if Athena has this but I thought id just mention it because she sometimes sleeps and her feet would be rolled under her arms.
    Please don't scorn me for this if she does have it it is possibly my fault and I understand that but I thought id ask someone with a lot more knowledge for some clarification so I know what I can do to help her.
    She climbs fine except for the fact that she doesn't stand up full like link does when she wants to move.

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    another thing is i started to notice this when she started becoming more lethargic a few weeks maybe a month or two ago.