Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enclosure questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered
    Thanks. The help is fantastic, I just feel bad because I have question after questionÖ
    If I use 2x 58cm UV tubes, wonít that cover the same area as 1x 116cm tube? Or is it because of the housings that will make the 2x cover more length that the single 116cm?
    Could I use 1x uv tube and 1x MVB or would this be too much? Was thinking of having the MVB lamp directly over basking area which would be a bonus of being a heat lamp as wellÖ
    The reflector domes will need to be suspended from the ceiling of the enclosure due to being so high and heat, is this correct? Iíve seen some photos of wood enclosures and the dome seems to be flush mounted (with just the top poking out). Is this dangerous due to heat or itís not an issue? Again, I have no idea just how hot itís going to getÖ

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    The reason I suggested 2 smaller tubes is they will spread the UV over a bigger area than a single unit because of the gap between, also you have to realize that UV is not emitted near the end of the tube as efficiently as the middle.
    Reflectors are better suspended from the roof, poking through the roof is wasting heat.
    Yes you could use 1 x MVB and 1 tube, this would work as well as 2 x tubes. I'd suggest looking on ebay for tubes, I bought mine cheaper than a petshop same with the MVB. Still not cheap but still a saving.

Don't feel bad about asking questions, better to get your facts right before you start. Otherwise it becomes harder to change later or worse still having an enclosure that doesn't give your dragon the best life.
    slave to all my reptiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    I think I’ve got it (mostly) sorted now. You’ve been a great help. Will post back when I’ve made some progress.. have to wait 4-5 weeks for melamine as I’ve ordered it cut to size.

I re read the email from Zoo Med rep and she was saying to use a 5.0 HO tube.. I haven’t researched how much stronger the high output globes are yet but will look into it.

4. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rj1417 View Post
    I think I’ve got it (mostly) sorted now. You’ve been a great help. Will post back when I’ve made some progress.. have to wait 4-5 weeks for melamine as I’ve ordered it cut to size.

I re read the email from Zoo Med rep and she was saying to use a 5.0 HO tube.. I haven’t researched how much stronger the high output globes are yet but will look into it.
    I'm curious what they think the 10UV is for if they think 5UV is for desert creatures ?
    slave to all my reptiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    See if attaching photo works.
    Iíve built the enclosure, final size I went with is 1800Lx700Hx600D.
    The tape is just holding the track while the glue dries. Will cut holes for ventilation next.
    Will keep updating as I progress when time permits.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Rj1417 View Post
    See if attaching photo works.
    I’ve built the enclosure, final size I went with is 1800Lx700Hx600D.
    The tape is just holding the track while the glue dries. Will cut holes for ventilation next.
    Will keep updating as I progress when time permits.
    How are you doing? Did everything work out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Hi Pokitren,
    Things came to a bit of a halt due to being unwell but I’m back at it again and have been working on the background. The enclosure is done I just haven’t taken photos. Will update once the background is done.
    I cut two holes for ventilation which I’m hoping is enough. They are 245mmx145mm. Then I carved some lines in the foam background, aligning with the cut outs. If it’s not enough, I will add some round vents on the front if need be.
    As for lighting - I ended up buying an Arcadia 54w T5 (1150cm) with 12% globe. I still haven’t decided on lamps yet. I’m keen to get a deep heat projector but I haven’t decided on wattage yet and whether or not to use a dome reflector. I am leaning towards getting the dome and spacing it from the roof by 70mm-100mm just incase it does get really hot. This is all so new to me so I’m trying to get what will be best for the animal but also not throwing away money with things I don’t need.
    It’s been difficult finding information that’s suitable to this setup as it seems a lot of people use a mesh top and it also seems very rare to have a long enclosure like this too. Dragonlover has been a great help with my questions though which has relieved some of my headaches haha.

For the lighting, I’m leaning towards getting 3 fittings. 1x deep heat projector (around 75w) for basking area, another fitting around 500-600mm from hot side with a spot globe around 75w (as suggested) and then another one in cool side (around 50w). Was going to look at domes for the hot side only. Ideally I wanted to not use a thermostat and set it up with timers but I’ll see how it goes. I just have absolutely no idea on how much heat any of the above create. I was going to just get the highest wattage possible but now I’m thinking it may not be a good idea. From what I’ve read, having the melamine top will help to not lose temps and also having the 30mm foam on 3 sides will also ‘insulate’ so I may not have as much trouble as I first though with maintaining temps. I guess I’ll soon find out. Ideally if I can get the basking spot temps good then I’d like to create more than one basking area but I’ll start with getting overall temps good with one basking spot first so I don’t over complicate things further. The bearded dragon won’t be arriving until after my daughters birthday which is the end of August so I’ve still got a bit of time to play around with lighting and getting temps right. I am a little concerned with the ventilation though as I want to make sure the animal won’t be suffocating…

I will update with photos by the weekend as I’m hoping to finish background by then. I’ll keep this updated as hopefully it may help someone else one day.

If anything I’ve written above is a bad idea - please someone comment and let me know your suggestions to save me the wasted time and money.
    Last edited by Rj1417; 18-07-2022 at 03:57 PM.

10. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    The only thing I am dubious about at the moment, is your vents. You put them in the back. Vents should ideally be at the ends, 1 end high and 1 end low to allow proper airflow. The size is about right ,just the placement worries me. Usually the back of the enclosure is against the wall which would negate the vent anyway.
    slave to all my reptiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    Sorry I should’ve explained that better. They are on the sides.

13. Likes dragonlover1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Level
    Achievements:
    C5A1AB0D-968E-4948-AF8F-7020BECD9ADB.jpg

Have dummy fit the background. Still have a couple of small things needed to do to it before attaching it. Mainly light sanding of some parts and I want to try paint some areas to give it an aged and more natural look.
    For anyone interested - I used 30mm XPS foam sheets. You can get them from Bunnings or I went through a company called FOAMEX. I had to do the back length in 3 parts so thatís why I added the extra 2 pieces to hide the joins. The top middle piece is removable and behind that is a cutout for power cables. Itís attached with magnetic tape.
    The background hasnít really turned out how I wanted it too. I lost a lot of detail when covering it with tile pointing. For anyone planning to have a crack at it, my advice would be donít be afraid to do deep details and a lot of carving. Thereís no lights mounted inside it yet so you canít really see much of what details are left. Once lights are in, Iíll add more photos.
    I used Dunlop tile pointing to cover it all, 3 coats. First coat watered down a fair bit then less on second and final coat was straight from the tub.
    I will most likely have another go at making a new one at some stage but for now, this will do.